The seeds for what would become Covenant Health can be traced to 1918 when
three doctors, J.T. Hutchinson, O.F. Peebler and A.R. Ponton established
the Lubbock Sanitarium at 1301 Broadway. The hospital evolved throughout
the last century as Lubbock General Hospital, Lubbock Memorial Hospital
and Methodist Hospital.
Plains Hospital and Clinic was started in 1937 by Drs. O. Key, S.C. Arnett
and F.B. Malone at 2605 19th Street, where Café J and Chrome are now housed. It evolved into
St. Mary of the Plains Hospital when the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange
Covenant Health was created when Methodist Hospital and St. Mary of the
Plains Hospital merged in 1998.
Today Covenant Health not only serves Lubbock but includes a region that
ministers to patients and families across West Texas and eastern New Mexico.